Manufacturing Technologist Degree Apprenticeship
If you are interested in science and engineering and have an enquiring mind - this apprenticeship could be for you!
Our multi-skilled manufacturing technologist apprenticeship combines engineering study with technical know-how about packaging solutions and our consumer products from chemical processing to tablet and paste manufacturing and pharmaceutical packaging.
What does a manufacturing technologist apprenticeship involve?
This 3-4 year programme offers you the chance to study towards a Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) in Manufacturing Engineering (FETAC Level 7) while gaining valuable, paid work experience.
You will study the theory of pharmaceutical production, first touch engineering, packaging design and lean manufacturing as well as safety and risk management, fully funded by GSK. You will complete a series of on-site job rotations, learning about the different formulations and the different equipment that makes and packages our pharmaceutical products, putting your learned theory into practice.
You can expect to work both individually (when appropriately trained) and as part of a technical team - taking responsibility for the quality, safety and accuracy of the work you undertake.
Your role may involve:
- Learning how equipment in the manufacture and packaging of our pharmaceutical products operates
- First touch engineering - root cause analysis and understanding interactions between materials and equipment.
- Learn how to design the perfect packaging solution - from choosing the right materials, identifying storage solutions through to packaging machine design and format.
- Data collection, analysis and trending to identify improvement opportunities in our processes.
- Learning about the functions that support manufacturing (laboratory, engineering, logistics & scheduling)
- Assisting in new product and equipment introductions, carrying out trials and analysing data.
- You will learn about product lifecycle management, technical risk assessment and process and product validation.
What will this apprenticeship offer me?
- Fully sponsored BEng in Manufacturing Engineering
- You’ll be paid a salary by GSK throughout your apprenticeship including your study time at Cork Institute of Technology.
- Combination of on-the-job learning from industry leaders and three 15-week residential placements at Cork Institute of Technology over 3 years and the remaining 70% of your time at our Dungarvan site gaining practical skills and experience learning from our industry experts.
Working with both your manager and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will also be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What qualifications do I need to apply?
To be eligible for our apprenticeship, you will need:
- Must have/be predicted to achieve 6 Ordinary Level Leaving Certificates at grade 3 or above which must include Maths and English.
- Preferred subjects: Applied Maths, Chemistry, Engineering, Physics
Where will I be based?
You will be based at our consumer manufacturing site in Dungarvan.
What our apprentices say about the Engineering apprenticeship...
“I have really enjoyed working in all different areas on the site learning from qualified engineers - this has given me the best training I could have asked for!
“The most enjoyable part so far was probably the personal development week - it was great to do activities I never normally would and to also be around other apprentices in similar situations to me and compare all our thoughts and opinions on the apprenticeship programme.
“I have enjoyed the challenge of managing my work load to ensure I keep on top of all the competency, college work and on top of my role at the site. It has been a great opportunity to prove myself.”
When can I start?
Our apprenticeship starts in July - September 2020.
How can I apply?
Applications are now open. Apply Today
GSK is focused on creating an inclusive organisation where all employees feel engaged and know their work makes an important contribution. We aim to attract and retain the most talented people from all backgrounds and cultures regardless of actual or perceived race, colour, ethnic or national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, gender identity and/or expression, religion or belief, physical ability/ disability.